Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Catalina Dreamin'

This past Carmaggedon weekend, Mike's mom took me, Mike, Mike's brother, and his gf to an all-expense paid 4 day vacation to Catalina... one of the BEST VACATIONS I'VE EVER HAD!!!


I used to think of Catalina as one of those places middle-aged people in California vacationed to when they just want to feel like they're in a cleaner, safer, watered-down version of Mexico... or got a sudden craving for traveling but don't ACTUALLY feel like traveling.

And yes, there were a lot of middle-aged vacationers this past weekend in Hawaiian print flannels and loafers... but like every trip, adventure, journey, and destination, it's what you make of it!

We snorkeled every single day, kayaked, jumped off rocks, biked, hiked, ate unspeakable amounts of ice cream and nachos, and drank gallons of buffalo's milk!

We all shared a condo and had a blast hanging out together :D There were gigantic rooms with an amazing view and clean bathrooms (dirty bathrooms are my kryptonite, don't ask me how I survived backpacking across SEA), and it was walking distance from everything! There was even a pool and Jacuzzi! AND It's so much more affordable than any hotel room, I will definitely plan a trip with friends in the future :]


The view from our room was GORGEOUS

Catalina is very much like Cuba in that there isn't much variety... don't get me wrong, it is 100x more luxurious and accommodating than Cuba, but the food options are minimal. You can either eat American-Mexican food, or splurge for fish (why fish is so expensive on an island is still mind-boggling to me), or eat frozen chocolate bananas and ice cream for every meal. So that's what we did! We ate ice cream from every single ice cream shop on Catalina. That's some island livin':


The most massive plate of Nachos I have EVER consumed... it took all 5 of us to eat half of it...

We saw all sorts of fish and got tangled up in kelp, and my shoulders almost died from kayaking!

I jumped off Frog Rock!!! With my life vest on, of course. Landing in the water the wrong way bruised my bootay :[ but it was SO MUCH FUN!!! to me the climb itself is more frightening than standing on top and jumping off, even tho Mike thinks otherwise. The view up there is amazing!!!

I was disappointed we didn't get to swim with leopard sharks while we were snorkeling :[ they're about 6ft long and they don't bite

Hiking was my FAVORITE, and we hiked buzzed all 3 days. Mike's mom and I LOVED IT but Mike has old-man knees


Buffalo's Milk - Catalina's signature drink, is basically vodka mixed with 4 different banana, cream, and chocolate liquers... In Mike's attempt every single night to get me drunk, he only got himself wasted. When will he ever learn that my liver is superior?

I think we've explored every inch of the Island that Wrigley (the man who invented the gum and bought Catalina) wanted us to explore, and it will be a loooong time before I come back here again.

Thank you for the beautiful weekend and the ocean breezes and drunken sunsets that will forever be imprinted in my memory :) I'll be back when it's my time to enroll in the Loafers Club


No comments: