Saturday, February 28, 2009

over the rainbow

House of Blues : Sunset Strip

Went to a Matt Wertz concert at the House of Blues yesterday! It was a night of multiple flashbacks. The first time I went to House of Blues on Sunset Strip was the summer of my Freshman year to see "The Fray". It was my first concert ever, and it was that exact first concert that sucked me into the world of live music. Oh, those good ol' days of being young and carefree...

The opening acts for Matt Wertz were The Alternate Routes and Kelley James. I saw Kelley James more than a year ago at The Troubadour when he opened for Marie Digby, and I still have that exact xanga entry where I said he was gonna make it big. ...but he's still opening. Guess that's why I'm not a music contractor. He got even better though, and he even brought his brother (who thinks he's the next Eminem) on stage. It was hilarious! Kelley James definitely deserves his own act. I can't find a recording that captures how good he is cuz he does so much random impromptu stuff and tells funny little anecdotes. Go see him, he's still on tour, it's worth it!!
Kelley James

Here's a funky-ish song from The Alternate Routes, who were also really good! They have an amazing guitarist. And the percussion at 0:49 isn't made from maracas, its from a toolbox he was holding in his hand, and he shook it to the beat. How innovative is that?! When he was performing, he looked like a wanderer walking down the street with a toolbox in hand.


The Futures Nothing New - The Alternate Routes

And Matt Wertz is one sweaty man!!! But not as sweaty as Jon McLaughlin. I guess that's how absorbed in their music they are... a whole shirt and drenched towels' worth. The front row got a face-full of that one ...ick. He performed all his new stuff, and all the good stuff :) so I'm happy.

Next person I wanna see, after James Morrison and Jason Reeves = Amos Lee. He's soul, folk, acoustic, a hint of John Legend and a dash of Bob Dylan.


Keep It Loose, Keep It Tight - Amos Lee

http://3bluemoon3.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/amos-lee-supply.jpg

And now, onto writing more important things, like my paper. Oh yea! My second pass is at 9! Whops completely forgot... better go check my schedule! Buh-bye!

No comments: