Saturday, January 22, 2011

So, I'm about to take this Journalism test

with nary an idea of what I'm walking into. Maybe I should have combed the internet for top news stories, looked up influential politicians, critical social events across the world... in fact, I should probably be doing that right now! Instead, I'm sitting here sipping my Chai Tea Latte, and writing in this blog.

My mom has recently taken on this very hippy, fate-will-take-its-course approach to life, which is extremely unlike most Asian parents, and a little more similar to my approach. A few days ago when I talked to her about a major job interview, she said, "If it's yours, you'll get it. If it's not, there isn't anything you can do about it."

Of course that's an over-simplified statement, and there are a billion things you can do every moment to alter your fate, change things for yourself, without rendering your will completely useless. However, I do also believe that a larger course runs through most major events, and you know how sometimes you just get that feeling... like it's meant to be, as if some paths are just destined for you? Or am I just crazy?

I may be taking too much comfort in this theory, but today, I feel like I'll allow fate to have a little more control, let her point me in the right direction while both my hands are still grasped tightly around the steering wheel. If I'm meant to be a writer, if somehow those journalistic bloods and intuition run in my veins, I will ace this test no matter how hard I "study" for it. The words will hopefully just spill from my fingertips. But if not, well, at least that talent isn't my breadwinner!

Anyway, I'm about as ready as I can be, so Destiny, deal me my hand! :]

No comments: